At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Role
Cloudflare is looking for a highly experienced and talented new leader of its Global Trust and Safety team. In pursuit of its goal to “help build a better Internet,” Cloudflare operates one of the world’s largest and most important cloud networks. Maintaining the high level of trust between the Company and our customers, partners, and the larger Cloudflare community is critical. Our Trust and Safety team operates in a dynamic environment to implement policies that further this trust, responding to legal requests for information about our customers and use of our network, assisting Cloudflare employees implementing security and compliance programs, and supporting our customers, their users, and complaining parties to address claims of abuse.
In this role, you will lead Cloudflare’s existing team of investigators and engineers who process requests for information and abuse reports through a system of automated systems and manual escalation protocols. You will be expected to create and maintain clear policies, and ensure consistent and fair application of Cloudflare’s standards. You will be responsible for identifying and recruiting top talent to your team and engaging with leaders across the organization, including the Legal, Policy, Security, Communications, Support, Product and Engineering teams. You will also represent the company externally with industry peers and government officials.
Based on the variety of products offered by Cloudflare and the complexity of global legal standards covering requests for information and abuse, the right candidate will have to be able to create policies and protocols that account for this complexity, and effectively manage a global team responsible for implementing those changing policies. You will be expected to solve hard problems under pressure, often with senior executives and internal experts.
- Help build, develop, and manage a world class globally-distributed team that operates 24/7/365.
- Create and maintain processes and policies for handling legal requests and abuse complaints.
- Ensure consistent, timely, efficient, and fair application of those policies across a variety of circumstances and locations,
- Liaise with attorneys, engineers, and security staff inside Cloudflare to address circumstances that arise with regard to operation of the Trust & Safety team.
- Work with engineers on the trust & safety engineering team to create and improve automated tools to drive improvements and increase efficiencies.
- Partner with the Policy, Legal, and the Product teams to develop and implement policies and guidelines that can be enforced in a scalable fashion.
- Deal with sensitive content and emotionally charged escalations with tact and a calm demeanor.
- Take responsibility for online fraud and safety concerns, including but not limited to account security, safety concerns and user trust.
- Represent the company externally with industry groups, government officials, and members of the press to explain Cloudflare’s approach to Trust and Safety.
- Maintain and build upon Cloudflare’s transparency reporting process by identifying new areas of interest and information that we should be sharing with the public to maintain trust.
- 10+ years relevant experience demonstrating leadership in Trust and Safety, fraud, risk management or customer support roles developing and implementing policies to address requests for information and abuse complaints at scale.
- 4+ years experience managing a team effectively with a strong desire to help others learn and grow.
- Experience working with law enforcement and legal requests for customer information.
- Deep technical experience understanding how the Internet works.
- Understanding of the Internet ecosystem and the roles and functions of the various types of online service providers.
- Experience in assessing, analyzing and resolving complex and sensitive issues, often under considerable time pressure. You must have demonstrated ability to thrive in crisis management.
- Experience with analytics and experience solving problems using data and providing practical business insights.
- Significant awareness of existing and emerging public policy approaches to law enforcement access and intermediary liability to be able to engage on such issues at a very high level.
- A global network of contacts –you can reach the right people quickly to help solve problems that you can’t solve directly.
- Experience working on international issues with a global mindset.
- Strong communication skills across technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent collaboration and consensus-building skills
- Ability to prioritize and multitask; ability to adapt to a fast-moving environment
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.