This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on August 25, 2021. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
Our goal at Automattic is to democratize publishing. A key part of this requires providing safe and trusted publishing platforms for our passionate and engaged communities. To help with these efforts we’re looking for a new Fraud Prevention Specialist, specializing in payment fraud prevention, to join our Trust & Safety team.
We protect the WordPress.com, Tumblr, and WooCommerce communities and products by enforcing the Terms of Service, preventing fraudulent purchases, resolving billing issues, and supporting other Automatticians in their work. Our team is focused on reducing the company’s fraud risk and resolving payment disputes.
Your primary focus will be working with our fraud prevention tools to manually review risky transactions based on available data, review and respond to chargebacks, and reduce the overall risk that is inherent to accepting online payments.
We’re looking for someone who has most of these traits:
- Merchant risk and payment fraud prevention experience.
- Comfort with exposure to sensitive, mature, and unpleasant content/language/behaviors.
- An investigative, detective-like, mind.
- Ability to communicate effectively and succinctly in sensitive situations.
- A passion for keeping people safe on the internet.
- Confidence in making decisions in often ambiguous scenarios.
- Inherent patience.
- Comfort communicating with external partners and vendors.
- A flexible mindset; ready to learn and change tactics with short notice.
- An appreciation of good data and of diving into the details.
- Familiarity with remote work (or excitement to try it!).
It would also be nice if you had:
- Familiarity with Automattic’s suite of products and their associated communities.
- Familiarity with fraud trends and a deep understanding of this rapidly changing environment.
- Previous work in eCommerce, marketplace fraud prevention, or banking.
- Experience with various payment processor dashboards.
We’re prioritizing applicants based in Europe and the United Kingdom as well as throughout the western United States and Canada (UTC+2 through UTC-8). Applicants outside of those countries who are based in a similar time zone are still welcome to apply.
Payments fraud is an ever-changing field, and maintaining a current understanding of how fraud works is an important aspect of being effective at preventing it. We’re looking for someone who has “the mind of a philosopher, the gut of a detective, and the heart of a kindergarten teacher,” who can roll with the punches, and isn’t afraid to face bad actors head on. Our ideal teammate is calm, thoughtful, passionate, and full of integrity — with a healthy dash of empathy and kindness.
To apply for this job please visit automattic.com.