This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on April 26, 2021. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position. What You’ll Do As the Global Head of Site Policy, you’ll actively develop a deep understanding of the Twitter Rules and policies and lead the team to ensure the timely release and enhancement of policies and enforcement guidelines. You will shepherd the Site Policy team to develop comprehensive, cohesive policy frameworks, rules, and enforcement guidance, grounded in human rights and the principles of procedural fairness. You will be responsible for:
- Defining the global vision, direction, and high-level priorities for the team and working in support of both department and company goals.
- Deepening T&S’ working relationships with colleagues both within and outside the department to ensure that their needs are reflected in our roadmap and vice versa.
- Cultivating partnerships and collaborating cross-functionally with policy and enforcement teams across the company to ensure we benefit from each other’s strengths, keep others informed, and eliminate surprises.
- Supporting the regional Site Policy managers in their respective roles, ensuring regional considerations are factored into global plans and that regional teams are appropriately empowered to make decisions and drive work impacting their specific regions.
- Building a growing team through headcount planning, direct mentoring, diligent hiring, and a comprehensive staff development plan; guiding and supporting the hiring decisions of regional heads; creating an inclusive team culture that is psychologically safe while serving as a role model for such a culture.
- Overseeing the team’s performance and eliminating blockers that may prevent team members from launching timely and relevant policies and providing enforcement guidance.
- Providing guidance on complex, high-visibility cases and projects; adapting and realigning priorities in response to emergent crises.
- Driving VP/Staff/Board-level initiatives on behalf of the T&S VP.
- Representing the team internally and externally on conversations, speaking events, and panel discussions as appropriate.
Who You Are
You care. You believe Twitter should meaningfully invest in addressing T&S issues so the people who use Twitter won’t have to. You prefer to set clear-eyed policy principles rather than making one-off ad hoc decisions.
- You are a strategic problem solver and valued collaborator; you are just as comfortable strategizing and leading as you are diving into the details of policy work when circumstances require it.
- You are an experienced manager passionate about building culture and establishing processes to empower a high-performing team.
- You have direct experience with content policy (including developing, implementing, enforcing, or briefing others on it).
- You facilitate critical conversations with ease; you have no trouble working with and balancing the (at times) competing priorities of multiple teams operating in different countries.
- You are flexible, self-motivated, dedicated, and hard-working. You actively recognize needs, resolve problems, anticipate issues, and develop solutions.
- You build and cultivate healthy relationships with partners and keep team members informed and engaged. You customize your communication style based on your audience and easily switch between verbal and written communication as needed.
- You are open to international travel (post-COVID) and have an appreciation and respect for the norms of cultures other than your own.
- 10+ years of experience driving and implementing policy in the areas of content moderation, privacy, online safety, or similar T&S fields.
- 8+ years of experience leading teams, preferably in multi-site organizations. Bonus: Has held leadership roles that require extensive collaboration with third parties, partners, and teams whose short-term priorities may not be aligned with yours.
- Geopolitical knowledge in at least one regional market (Americas, EMEA, APAC, North Asia) and at least 5+ years working on online speech policies for that region.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; excels at providing balanced, actionable feedback to influence decision-making without direct managerial authority.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; able to express complex issues using clear language that is tailored to the intended audience.
- Experience working with quantitative and qualitative data, including research findings, to support recommendations.
- Sound business judgment and critical thinking skills.
- Experience working on policies that have a multi-regional or global impact.
- Experience in process redesign, project/program management and/or management consulting.
We seek a Director who is excited by the unique challenges at the intersection of online safety and freedom of expression to head our global Site Policy team. Are you passionate about implementing creative solutions in privacy, trust, content policy, online safety, or similar areas? Join us and have a direct impact on protecting people’s rights and building people’s trust in Twitter! Who We Are Trust & Safety (T&S) works at the crossroads of human rights, law, policy, and safety. Our goal is to ensure Twitter is a trusted platform where people can make connections, seek and receive credible and authentic information, and express themselves freely and safely. Site Policy is a global, multi-disciplinary team of policy specialists responsible for designing, writing, and implementing policy and safety solutions for a wide range of safety and privacy-related issues. We innovate, experiment, and move quickly. We’re a learning organization with a growth mentality, and we’re always looking for ways to improve our policies, processes, and ourselves.
To apply for this job please visit careers.twitter.com.