Website Full Fact
This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on April 30, 2021. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
Full Fact, an independent charity and team of campaigners and fact checkers is recruiting a Policy and Parliamentary Relations Manager to gain the support needed from UK parliamentarians for legislation, regulation, policy and practice that addresses misinformation online and to press for changes that will improve debate by politicians and the democratic process. As Full Fact’s Policy and Parliamentary Relations Manager, you’ll play a central part in our work to stop the harm caused by misinformation, improve the standard of public debate and make sure people get the facts they deserve. The pandemic has meant this work has never been more important, and you’ll be joining the team at a pivotal and exciting time. Full Fact’s work has an impact. We obtain corrections from Prime Ministers and other senior politicians to MPs. We influence policy and practice on online policy and related issues. We drive forward solutions to bad information that get taken up from others. You will be a key team member in our campaign on the forthcoming Online Safety Bill, making sure we have the relationships within the House of Commons and the House of Lords to influence this key legislation and advising colleagues on how best to utilise Parliament in our change agenda. Full Fact has a strong record of providing submissions to select committee inquiries and giving evidence in person. You will build on this and work with other policy colleagues on high-quality material that is useful to parliamentarians as well as providing support to our Chief Executive in evidence sessions. Full Fact follows up on our fact checks, including where inaccurate or misleading claims are made by politicians. If a politician gets it wrong in public, we ask that they correct themselves in public too. You will work closely on achieving this with the Policy and Impact Manager, who has responsibility for the day-to-day delivery of these interventions.. You’ll work in our wider Policy and Advocacy team with supportive colleagues developing policy positions and campaigning for change on a set of issues that have public and political salience here in the UK and internationally. Your work will contribute to the team’s wider advocacy agenda focused on tackling misinformation in public debate and online through pressing for policy and practice changes. This is a chance to put your engagement skills and strong judgement to work in a fast-moving campaigning, policy and political context. You’ll have lots of responsibility and opportunities to grow. If you’re a relationship builder and a team player with lots of ideas, this is a cutting edge influencing and external affairs job that will operate across politics, media, public debate and online policy. Job Description The purpose of this role is to increase support from UK parliamentarians for legislation, regulation, policy and practice on tackling misinformation online to reduce the harm bad information does and to press for changes that will improve debate by politicians and democratic process. Outcomes:
- Manage and coordinate parliamentary engagement across Full Fact, ensuring that all our contact and communications with parliamentarians coherently supports Full Fact’s mission to improve the quality of public debate.
- Proactively build and maintain constructive relationships with a wide range of parliamentarians, staffers and committees to support Full Fact’s goals including key committees in relation to our external change agenda.
- Lead on and coordinate parliamentary inquiry evidence and submissions, working with the Head of Policy and Advocacy and the team to use the evidence from our policy and fact checking work to inform policy recommendations.
- Coordinate and develop the parliamentary aspects of our advocacy and campaigns, including acting as a central point of expertise on parliamentary procedure and legislative change.
- Drive forward our work trying to deliver systems changes to improve the quality of debate in parliament and among politicians more generally.
- Have oversight of and contribute to our interventions and corrections work after the publication of fact checks, working closely with the Policy and Impact Manager on interventions, especially those directed at parliamentarians, and securing meaningful change in public life.
- Work with Full Fact’s fact checkers to stop the spread of specific unsubstantiated claims and take forward influencing for specific changes to counter specific causes of bad information, particularly those that relate to the behaviour of politicians.
- Monitor and share intelligence on parliamentary activity, debates and committee hearings that impact Full Fact’s work, and identify opportunities for influence.
- Represent Full Fact at external events and support spokespeople, particularly the Head of Policy and Advocacy and the Chief Executive, in parliament facing work that advances Full Fact’s policy influencing and relationship-building.
- Work with others in Policy and Advocacy as well as Communications to ensure Full Fact’s policy outputs and messaging on online policy, misinformation and proposals to reduce the harm caused by bad information are relevant, timely and useful for parliamentarians.
- Contribute to Full Fact improving its capability to influence the policy and practice of others on our priority external change agenda, including our advocacy framework and systems for relationship management, strategies, policy outputs, policy audiences, supporter voice, plans and M&E and learning.
- Support Full Fact’s fundraising and income generation so that policy funders receive applications and pitches with strong propositions for future advocacy, campaigns, policy work and/or research.
What we are looking for from you Political
- You are committed to the political neutrality of our work and have a good understanding of impartiality (please see the rules on our website https://fullfact.org/about/jobs/)
- A strong understanding of public debate, and political and government systems in the UK and sensitivity to the political context and institutional environment Full Fact works in, including government, parliament, companies, and civil society
- At least 2 years’ experience working with or building relationships with parliamentarians to achieve change
- Proven ability to be effective and persuasive with senior decision makers or policy makers including MPs
- A good working knowledge of parliamentary procedure
- Strong analytical and research skills with a keen eye for detail
- Ability to express points of factual accuracy clearly and persuasively including when asking someone to correct their own public statements
Relationship building and management
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with partner organisations in all sectors, including challenging them when necessary
Communication and Advocacy
- Experience working with senior decision makers
- Experience or clear potential to develop plans to persuade senior decision makers and achieve policy or institutional change
- Ability to communicate persuasively in person and in writing, including on technical matters and on points of principle
If you are interested in applying but not sure you have all the skills, please do apply. We are open both to supporting learning on the job and to rearranging tasks within the team to suit the skillsets of the best applicant. We are happy to talk about flexible working, and we are open to part time or job share applications for this role as part of an ambitious and supportive team. What we offer
- Starting salary of £34–40,000 (plus pension) depending on experience.
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays. We also close the office for a period between Christmas and New Year.
- Comfortable and attractive office by St James Park with very good transport links. We are currently all working remotely and are moving towards hybrid flexibility supporting office-based and remote work (the successful candidate will need to be based in or within reasonable reach of London).
- Employee Assistance Programme.
To apply for this job please visit fullfact.teamtailor.com.