The Trust & Safety team at TikTok helps ensure that our global community is safe and empowered to create and enjoy content across all of our applications. As a Program Manager for Content Classification on our Trust & Safety team, you will work directly with our Minor Safety colleagues to ensure that our policies, programs, and systems are streamlined to sort and catalogue content based on age-appropriate classifications. Your core responsibility will be to organize teams of Engineers, Product Managers, and Policy Managers to design a scalable backend system that allocates maturity ratings to TikTok content. This role requires some knowledge of age-ratings policies, and a lot of understanding of what it takes across stakeholders on a Product team to design and operationalize a new backend tagging infrastructure. This role is based out of our Mountain View office in California.
What will I be doing?
- Craft product processes and strategies for a global community on TikTok platforms, with a focus on Content Classification.
- Collaborate directly with Policy Managers to establish a backend tagging system that allocates maturity scores to content based on theme and age-appropriateness.
- Work closely with Minor Safety experts and cross-functional partners (Content Policy, Product Policy, Legal, Data Analytics, Operations, Engineering, and others) to establish a workflow to allocate maturity ratings to TikTok content.
- Investigate challenges and opportunities to establish a scalable solution to allocate locally accurate maturity ratings, and content advisories, to TikTok’s global content.
- Consider how features like Video, Comments, Follows, Likes, and Accounts can be incorporated into a maturity ratings system.
- Plan and manage complex maturity-ratings projects from problem statement to final execution, and optimize the process and procures to ensure timely and effective delivery.
- Assist with internal and external research efforts to keep the team up-to-date on industry trends and emerging issues related to Content Classification design process or product solutions in the digital media space.
- Familiarize yourself and educate others on global legislation relevant to Content Classification in digital media spaces.
- Learn and then teach others about the nuances across regional content legislation or compliance regulations, compared with cultural sensitivity and consumer expectations for age curation.
- Become an expert in TikTok’s tooling and systems, as they relate to maturity ratings, and then teach your colleagues to have the same strong understanding.
- While your main projects will involve Content Classification, you will be expected to manage additional projects outside of only this domain, as needed. Examples of this work includes ad hoc management of escalations, workflow development, and detection strategies across Minor Safety issues.
- Zero fear of and an enthusiasm for, learning new tools, backend structures, and unique product features.
- 4+ years experience designing backend metadata systems to catalogue streaming, music, short- or long-form UGC, or other form of entertainment media content.
- Strong understanding of Taxonomy, Content Metadata, Content Analysis, Thematic Coding, Library Science, or other Information Architecture skillset.
- An understanding for how to design process to catalogue large volumes of content at extreme scale. • Excellent project management skills, with meticulous organization.
- An ability to organize a variety of business stakeholders, including Content Creative, Product Policy, Engineering, Public Policy, Legal, and Data Science, to see projects to successful fruition.
- A scrappy energy and willingness to pitch in and help on work across the team.
Even better if:
- Fluency in a language other than English.
- Experience working in non-western cultures, or knowledge of variations in culture and values across diverse populations.
- Experience working with Maturity Ratings, Content Classification, Standards & Practices, Content Compliance, etc.
To apply for this job please visit careers.tiktok.com.